Monday, January 5, 2015

A long overdue re-emergence ... and a challenge

Since my last post 6 years ago, I thought I may never return to this blog page again.  However, I have decided to challenge myself with documenting the year 2015 with a daily haiku.  For those of you who don't know, a haiku is a form of poetry from Japan.  The basic structure is 3 lines.  The first line contains 5 syllables, the second has 7, then the last one has 5 again.  There are other rules, which I am learning (any poetry critics who might stumble across this, be kind and remember I am barely an amateur).  These other rules can be found at this wikipedia link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_in_English.
So I intend to post my daily haikus weekly on this blog page, with any explanation that may be necessary.  I will post the daily haiku on my facebook page without explanation.
So, here goes.  Remember, I do not claim to be a poet, I just wanted to challenge myself.

#1

A Happy New Year!
We'll take a cup o' kindness
yet for auld lang syne ...


I think that I will always associate the song Auld Lang Syne with one of my favorite holiday movies, "It's a Wonderful Life."  George Bailey holding Zuzu, singing that song, and Zuzu proclaiming in her sing-song cadence "every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings."  I know that it is sentimental nonsense, but you gotta love Jimmie Stewart in that role.

#2

On-line job hunting
Is full-time work when using
Dial-up internet ...


I am still in the dark ages with dial-up internet.  I do a whole lot of clicking and waiting whenever I want to do anything in cyberspace. 

#3

A Wrinkle in Time ...
Film versus book? Agreement:
The book dominates!


For Christmas this year my hunny and I gave each other an audio-book (from me) and a dvd (from him) of the story A Wrinkle in Time.  We have just finished both of them.  We both agree that the book is SO much better--which does my heart good, since my hunny is not a reader.

#4

Barely holding on ...
Control starts losing control ...
Grief visits again.


This March will mark the 2 year anniversary of when my mom passed away.  I have been surprised at how suddenly and unexpectedly the grief will come up out of nowhere and bowl me over.  I will be fine driving down then road, then start sobbing into my steering wheel.  It usually only lasts or a few minutes, but in the meantime I am a wreck (trying to not be one literally!).

Until next week, Peace.  

No comments: