Saturday, March 14, 2009

An Introduction . . . and a Good-Bye

Continuing on with introductions . . .

Bobby came to us in 2002. A co-worker of mine had just moved, had three cats--a momma and two youngsters, couldn't keep cats in her new apartment, could I please please take at least one? They were living in her car. Another co-worker agreed to take two, so I finally agreed to take Bobby.
He has been a joy to us. He has the kind of personality that is sometimes so serious it is comical. By far our most emotional cat, his "furrowed brow" has often warned us what kind of mood we can expect from him. His furrowed brow and his tail . . . He has got a magnificent tail. Strong and thick and bold. It would knock things over. I don't know how many times we would find all sorts of things in the bathroom sink, things that got swept there by a Bobby tail. You could actually lift his back end with that tail, and not get a complaint from him. But that tail often was the bane of his existence. Like I said, Bobby could be very emotional. When he got upset, his tail would start swishing, which annoyed him, which would set his tail off more fervently, which annoyed him even more. It was a cycle that would escalate until he was tearing through the house, trying to escape his tail. And often it would involve him turning, grabbing and biting the offence. The first time I saw that happen, I thought he had gone rabid! Poor Bobby!

Bobby died in my arms last night.
He's been sick since Christmas. Severe Renal Failure. It's a mystery how he got so sick. We have been giving him infusions at home several times a week. We were hoping to get him to Spring, so he could get a last taste of warm weather. I am glad we have had a couple warm days lately, so Bobby could go outside for a little while. R got home last evening to find Bobby collapsed on the floor. He held him until I got home. It was obvious to us that his body had already begun shutting down. At about 9:10 last night, he left us.
I can't say anything more about him than I miss him.

No comments: