Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Flash of Genius

Onto a lighter note . . .

My husband R is a car person.

He can list off year, make and model of every car that he or his family has ever owned. And believe me, there are many. Though I don't think he has ever named any (at least he hasn't told me their names) I know he feels a certain, shall I say, connection to each and every car that ever called our driveway home. And he can list in detail all the work that he has done to every one of those cars. From brake jobs to exhaust work, shocks, struts and I don't even know what else, he's got an almost intimate knowledge of the inner workings of all his current and ex-cars. I often kid him when we are driving, if I catch him rubber-necking, I know he has seen a FOR SALE sign somewhere in some windshield or back window. He just loves cars.

So it seemed appropriate a few weeks ago when we went out to celebrate our A.L.L. anniversary to go to the matinee showing of the movie Flash of Genius. This movie tells the story of Robert Kerns, the man who invented the intermittent wiper blade motor. It is based on a true story. The account goes as follows: Kerns brings his invention to Ford Motor Company. Ford gets a look at his prototype, says "thanks, but no thanks," then promptly introduces the intermittent wipers on the next year's models--effectively stealing Kerns' invention. There is a long, drawn out legal battle that takes years . . . anyhow, I won't go into it too much. It is a good movie. Go see it if you get the chance.

As I said, it was an appropriate choice of movie, for R's sake because it involved cars. For my sake because I love good a good story.

But something happened midway through the movie that left me laughing for days.

Robert Kerns had a nervous breakdown.

Okay, not so funny. . . .

As it goes in the movie, Kerns is getting nowhere with Ford and with his lawyers and all. He knows he has been robbed and is powerless and frustrated and now on the edge. The scene goes, he is driving around in a rain storm, spots a random car drive by with intermittent wipers--his invention--in use. He follows the car around until the driver arrives at his own home. After said driver goes inside the house, Kerns approaches the driveway and proceeds to break into the car, lifting the hood and attempting to remove the wiper motor. This is obviously a poignant moment in the story: a man at the edge of desperation, resorting to a criminal act.

Sitting in the nearly empty theater, R and I were commenting freely on the movie. R, the whole time this scene is going on, is saying "What is he doing? What does he think he is doing? Don't do that! What is he doing?"

I say, "It looks like he is breaking into the car. Oh yeah, that's what he's doing. He's trying to steal the wiper motor."

R turns to me and says, "But it's a GM!"


Peace.
C



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The stealing of a motor was one of Hollywood's touches. My Dad's breakdown occurred when he realized that Mercedes Benz "the best engineered car" had stolen his design too. He didn't steal motors, he just reverted to one of his other patents Motor Speed Control for Electric Car.
It's ashame that he had to defend his patents for those 30 some years.
Imagine if he'd been able to use his time to invent? What else could he have created?
Perhaps your car would have a better control on the windshield, different than the one he invented in 1963?